Wednesday, February 20, 2013

comfort zone

My brain works in funny ways.  I am definitely a creature of habit.  I don't like to step out of my comfort zone very often.  I like my routine, my friends, my favorite places to eat, and my favorite bar to hangout at.  I live in an area that is populated by a lot of musicians.  I am always in awe of the musical talent I am surrounded by.  I love to go to shows and support my friends who are in bands. (a good chunk of them are in bands)  I never really thought of joining a band myself.  The idea of it has always freaked me out.  I play two instruments...kind of 3 instruments, the flute, the piccolo, and the piano.  I can admit it, I am talented in the music department.  I have a really great ear. I've been able to hear a song and then mimic it on the piano since I was about 4 years old.  But the idea of "jamming" on my flute or the piano with other people has totally freaked me out.  I think I am too worried about what other people will think or too self conscious, or just reluctant to step out of my comfort zone.  Last month I was presented with the opportunity to play with a local band that has been around for awhile and help them create "orchestra" versions of their songs.  For whatever reason I was feeling daring that day and agreed to do it.  Our first practice was two weeks ago. I faced my fears and went, not knowing what to expect.  It was fun but I was too nervous to really know if I was doing anything right.  So our second practice was the other day and it was a smaller group of people in a smaller practice space.  It was a practice with four of my friends that I consider really great musicians.  Needless to say I was a nervous wreck.  I was the only concert instrument that showed up that wasn't a guitar so you could hear me. (I guess that's the point?) Anyway, I was horribly nervous for about half of the time and then finally started to get the hang of it.  I'm totally addicted now.  I can't wait for the next practice.  I feel so inspired.  I just want to write songs and play music all the time.  Stepping out of the comfort zone is something I am really trying to make a point in doing more often and so far it's paying off.  I will keep everyone updated as we practice more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment